The Joy of Small Things

I have had a great last month in terms of learning. It's been hectic. It's been intense. It's been tiring. Being the third long week in a row, the pace was beginning to cause some fatigue.  To keep me going, I just needed a reminder of my purpose. And today's over night stay in the community was just the answer.

I spent time with three families, each different from the other. In Devika's, I saw the potential of an invested parent. In Snehal's, I saw the potential of an invested teacher. In Sakshi's, I saw the willingness to challenge the status quo.

As I moved from one to another, the houses kept getting getting smaller. The love, however, remained unchanged. Whether it was treating us to grand meals, sharing with us their life stories or listening to our journey in the fellowship, I saw the same sense of warmth and openness flowing through.

I am currently sleeping in a house which is less than 100 square feet in area. I am sleeping in a house with 7 other people. I am sleeping on the floor, with a thin bedsheet and my bag as my pillow. There is no toilet or shower. Even then, I am feeling at home.

I am at home because I am free from judgement. I am at home because I see selfless giving. I am home because I see respect and humility working both ways. I am at home because I have all the minimum things I need to live well - a roof on my head, food in my stomach and love for the heart.

I do what I do to stay connected with my self. I teach for India to constantly challenge the biases the world forces me and its kids to conform to.

Comments

Popular Posts